Friday, December 3, 2010

ArtTraveler laments Israel's devastating fires and recalls Haifa sunsets

Before the 1967 war, in 1963, I walked through the Mandelbaum Gates from then West Bank Jordan to East Jerusalem, Israel, through a no-man's land of barbed wire and tank traps, a  wide and deep ditch in the desert that led you along a half-mile walk from an Arab to the Jewish state.

For two weeks, I worked for food and lodging at a large kibutz above Haifa, awaiting a Turkish freighter that would take me to the island of Rhodes, Greece and then to Pireaus. 

As I write this, more than 40 people have died in the area where I suspect I picked apples. The whole area is ablaze. There's enough fire and death in the Middle East. 

I was well received as a Gentile, loved picking apples and experienced the most beautiful sunsets in the world, at least the world I had experience up close and personal at age 19.

Rock on and practice peace.Please see ArtTraveler's videos: http://bit.ly/h1vruw


Stefan, The ArtTraveler (TM)

No comments:

Post a Comment